Wednesday, December 12, 2012

See? Here's the trouble...

I wish I knew the number of times I've updated a status on Facebook just to only go back a few minutes later or maybe a couple of hours later and delete it.  Has anyone else done that?  At first, I'll type it out and pat myself on the back for sounding so clever or funny.  And then after I've come down from my narcissistic high, reality will set in and suddenly I feel exposed as if I've been caught with toilet paper stuck to my shoe.

Remember when Facebook felt a little more innocent? Like when it first came out...how you could go to your Facebook wall and collect those witty pins that said I Love My Husband and I Wear Flip-Flops Year-Round?  Remember when someone would write on your wall?!  It felt as good as receiving a hand-written letter in the mail.  You felt chosen.  You felt thought-of.  Dang it!  You felt special!  Am I right?! 

Now, being on Facebook brings on more emotions than I'd like to admit.  For the record, I'm not bashing Facebook what-so-ever.  For the most part, I love it.  By nature, I'm a very social person.  Being a stay-at-home mom, sometimes interacting on Facebook is the only adult communication I'll have on a regular basis.  I could list a ton of great things about Facebook.  Lately, I have found myself being hyper-sensitive to the things I've posted and the things I've seen come through my News Feed.  I think the point I'm struggling to get to with this blog post is this...

We live in a world with more negativity than we can handle.  And as women, our heads are slapped full with critical words and thoughts.  If I'm not careful, I can let social media dictate how I feel about myself, my life, my parenting, and my physique.  The list could go on and on.  I wonder what would happen if we really saw our Facebook friends as just that...friends.  Instead of using our Facebook status as a way to push our own agendas, we started using our words to encourage and uplift.  Wouldn't it be neat to see our News Feeds full of positive and encouraging words instead of sarcastic and critical comments?

Too Utopian you might say?  And maybe you're right.  Maybe the Christmas Spirit is speaking here or maybe I've had too much coffee this morning.  Either way, it's where I am today...knowing that a Greater Good does exist in each of our lives and being hopeful that we all find it and use it towards something that counts.  So, perhaps if you're feeling down today and the voices of this world seem to be screaming at your heart, take a minute to find the One Voice that truly matters and ask Him to show you how you can be a Light in this dark world.

Even if it is on Facebook.

Linds

 

No comments:

Post a Comment