Monday, April 23, 2012

A Love That Never Fades

If the one man in a little girl’s life with whom she is supposed to trust with her life and love leaves her, what is going to make her think other men in her life won’t do the same? Her perception of God is no different. For years, I thought I had to earn God’s love. When I failed Him, I felt like I had to earn back His love with each failure. Years ago, I stumbled upon John 6:37. “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.” Those last two words – drive away – caught my eye. In the historical context of this verse, I realize Jesus isn’t talking about fathers leaving their families. I understand He was telling others in the passage that if they come to Him, He will never leave them. Yet, the phrase - drive away - stopped me in my tracks. As a young girl, I watched my dad drive away from our home and leave for good. The Lord used this verse to help me realize that Jesus loves me more than anyone will ever love me. I never have to live my life in fear that a day will come when He, my Abba, decides He’s had enough of me. There is NOTHING that I can do that will cause God to leave me. He sent His Son so that I could live with a guarantee that His love never fades.

No comments:

Post a Comment