Sunday, March 6, 2011

Get Right or Get Slapped

Life has a way of slapping you around.  The following is a list of "rules" my mother taught me as a young girl.  These rules can be AND should be applied well into adulthood.  Recently, I have found the adults in my world, including ME and MY big ol' SELF, are getting a little lackadaisical when it comes to common sense items which IS, in fact, the motivation behind this blog entry.  So without any hesitation, I present to you LA-LA's List of "Get Right or Get Slapped."

10.  When you pass folks on the street or in a room, offer them, at least, a smile.  A kind hello would work best.  This goes for anytime you are out in public EVEN and ESPECIALLY when you are at church.
9.  Always stand for what is Truth.  This especially applies when someone is gossiping or saying anything that would be considered inappropriate.  This always applies when someone is speaking against Truth.  Take a stand, no matter what, even if the other person is a friend and/or relative.
8.  Anytime someone gives you something, always say thank you.  This includes but is not limited to waiters, Sonic carhops, perfect strangers, and family members.
7.  If you need something, ask.  Always say please.
6.  People, especially your spouse, are not mind-readers.  Let go of all expectations.  Do not expect your loved ones to follow a certain script.  Inevitably, you will be disappointed.  And it's just plain UNFAIR to them.
5.  Hold the door for people.  Don't expect others to do the same for you.
4.  Get over yourself.  You may be cute.  You may be sweet.  But life just ain't about you.
3.  Be on time.  People who are habitually late are probably very selfish.  Nothing says, "Look at me, I am the most important person I know," more than when you are late to functions.
2.  When you commit to something, fulfill your obligation.  If people are counting on you, be there and do what you said you would do.  Do this even when it is inconvenient and/or unappealing.
1.  Jesus is everything!  You will never feel fulfilled in this life until you surrender your life to Christ.  Pray all of the time.  Read His Word everyday.  And worship Him without apology.  He is worth it ALL.

**Disclaimer:  Items 5, 7 and 8 are simple and insinuate common sense.  But folks, we have gotten away from doing them in our everyday lives.  Manners, people.  Please...practice your manners.

Now that you have read the list, you have no excuse.  I have no excuse (especially with my mother living right down the road from me).  Truth be told, we either need to get RIGHT or get slapped.  By getting slapped, I don't mean by someone else.  Life just has a way of doing that to us on its own, ya know?  What about you?  Got any words of wisdom you could pass along to us?
Linds

Jesus said in John 16:33, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment